Bacon, Lettuce and Fried Green Tomato Sliders (BLFGT Sliders)
Not your average BLT! Rachael's adds a southern spin on sliders using fried green tomatoes!
- 8 slices smoky bacon, halved across
- 2 green or very under-ripe, firm tomatoes
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs or egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup corn meal
- 1/3 cup grated Parm cheese
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Canola or light olive oil, for shallow frying plus a drizzle
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef - sirloin for leaner burgers or chuck for buttery burgers
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated onion and its juice
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot, eyeball the amount
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball the amount
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted by finely chopping and mashing with salt
- A few tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 8 slider rolls or dinner size brioche rolls, split
- 1 head tender lettuce, such as Bibb or butter
Yields: Makes 8 sliders
Bake bacon in preheated oven at 375˚F to crisp on slotted pan in middle of oven, 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool.
Meanwhile, trim tops and bottoms of tomatoes and slice into 4 slices each, no more than 1/2-inch thick. Salt the sliced tomatoes on each side and drain on a doubled paper towel for a few minutes then season with a little pepper. Dredge the tomatoes in flour, then coat in egg whites, then in breadcrumbs mixed with cornmeal, Parm and parsley. Heat 1/8 inch of oil in skillet over medium to medium-high heat and cook to golden and crisp, a few minutes on each side. Cool on cooling rack.
Combine meat with grated onion, hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Form 8 3-ounce slider-size patties, drizzle with a little oil. Heat large griddle or non-stick skillet and cook patties a couple of minutes on each side.
Combine sour cream with garlic, chives, lemon juice, salt, pepper and a dash or 2 of hot sauce, if you like.
Place burgers on bun bottoms. Top each slider burger with 2 slices of halved, cooked bacon, tender lettuce leaves, a fried slice of green tomato, sour cream and chive sauce and bun tops.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook