Red Bean and Rice Cakes with Remoulade Sauce
Use up all that leftover rice from Chinese takeout in this quick and easy dinner.
- 2 cups leftover white or brown rice from takeout or homemade
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus additional for drizzling
- 1 pound andouille sausage, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can red beans
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 heaping tablespoons grainy Creole mustard
- 3 ribs of celery, very finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup (about a handful) flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 hearts of romaine, shredded
Yields: 4 servings
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO. Add the andouille and cook until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the browned andouille to a mixing bowl and reserve rendered andouille fat in the skillet.
In a food processor add the beans, egg, flour, salt and pepper. Pulse until just combined -- you don't want it completely smooth.
In the mixing bowl with the andouille, combine the bean mixture with the rice, thyme, paprika, cayenne, cumin and the leftover rice. Form into 4 equal size patties. Heat the skillet with the andouille fat in it over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the patties and cook on each side for 7-8 minutes, until brown and heated through.
While the patties are cooking up, make the remoulade sauce: In a small bowl mix together the mustard, celery, mayo, parsley, lemon juice and zest.
Run your knife through the two hearts of romaine until shredded. Lay it on the plates as a bed for your patties.
To serve, divide the patties among the plates with the bed of romaine and drizzle with some of the remoulade sauce.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook