Brown Rice and Black Bean Burritos
Brown rice makes these vegetarian burritos even healthier!
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup brown rice
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 2 14-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 large, whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup of smoked white cheddar
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch (about a handful) of cilantro leaves removed from stems
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- A few dashes hot sauce
- 1 jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
Yields: 4 servings
Place a medium pot over medium-high heat with the stock or water and brown rice. Season with salt and pepper, and bring up to a bubble. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the rice has absorbed all the liquid, about 25 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork.
While rice is cooking, place another pot over medium heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, onion, garlic, jalapeño, salt and ground black pepper. Cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in cumin and cook about 1 minute then add tomatoes and beans, and heat through, about 2 minutes. Keep warm until the rice is ready.
Just before the rice and beans are ready, place a dry skillet over medium heat. Warm the tortillas in the pan until hot and lightly blistered. Transfer finished tortillas to a plate and cover them in a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm.
When everything is ready, lay down the tortillas and divide the cheese evenly between them. Divide the rice and beans between the tortillas as well as the lettuce, tomatoes, scallions and cilantro. Roll up each burrito.
For the salad, whisk together honey, lime juice, hot sauce, salt and ground black pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO. Toss with jicama, red onion, and carrots. Serve on the side with a burrito.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook