Cheesy Chicken in Poblano Sauce
- 2 to 3 medium poblano peppers, seeded and stemmed, chopped
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican herb blend or dried oregano
- A small handful cilantro leaves plus a few leaves for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or Mexican crema
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 to 6 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Manchego cheese
- Tortillas, for serving
- Thinly sliced red onions, for garnish
In a blender or food processor, combine peppers with stock, onions, garlic, cumin, herb blend, cilantro, salt and pepper; purée.
In a saucepot over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour. Add milk and cream, and raise heat a bit. Add poblano purée and simmer to thicken and cook sauce, 20-25 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
While the sauce is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the EVOO (3 turns of a pan). Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and brown 3-4 minutes on each side then transfer to casserole dish. Spread poblano sauce over the top, cover with cheese and bake 15-20 minutes, depending on size of chicken pieces -- dish should be brown and bubbly on top.
Serve with tortillas and garnish with cilantro sprigs and red onions.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook