Chef Michael Symon's Green Chili
This quick and easy chili has slow-cooked flavor.
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, cut into medium dice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 jalapeños, halved
- 5 poblanos, halved
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large red onion, cut into medium dice
- 1 cup oregano leaves, chopped
- 2 bottles of your favorite beer
- 1 quart of stock or water
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Season pork liberally with salt, cumin and coriander. Add oil to the pot and let it get hot. Add pork and brown for about 3-5 minutes.
While pork is browning, toss jalapeños, poblanos and tomatillos with oil, salt and pepper and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Add garlic and onion to the pot with the pork and sweat for 2 minutes. Remove vegetables from oven and pulse in a food processor. Add to pot with beer and stock and simmer for 1 hour or until pork is tender.
Serve with any combination of pickled red onions, rice, lime wedges, Cotija cheese, cilantro and tortilla chips.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook