Cherry Tomato Pasta with Peas, Prosciutto and Onion
This yummy pasta supper is easy enough to whip up on a weeknight.
- 1 pound short-cut pasta, such as campanelle or fiori
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce box frozen peas or 2 cups fresh if they look good at the market
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, tear each slice in quarters
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves, thinly sliced
- 8 to 10 leaves basil, torn or sliced
- Shaved Asiago cheese, for garnish
Yields: 4 servings
Place a large pot of water over high heat to boil. Season the boiling water with some salt, drop the pasta and cook to al dente according to package directions. Just before draining the pasta, reserve a large mugful of starchy cooking water. Drain the pasta well and reserve.
While the pasta is cooking, place a large skillet over medium heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the shallots and garlic to the pan, and sauté gently until tender, 3-4 minutes.
Add the white wine and cherry tomatoes to the pan, cover with a lid and raise the heat to medium-high. Cook until the tomatoes have burst, 7-8 minutes (take a potato masher to any stragglers that haven’t burst yet after that time). Stir in the peas, season the sauce with some salt and pepper, and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
While the tomatoes are cooking, in a small non-stick skillet over medium high heat, sauté the prosciutto until crispy and brown, about 1 minute per side, with a splash of EVOO.
Remove the tomato sauce from the heat and add in about 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water, the pasta and the herbs. Toss to coat and top with the crispy prosciutto and some shavings of Asiago cheese.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook