Chicken with Ham and Mozzarella and Broiled Tomatoes
For a smoky flavored chicken, use speck and smoked fresh mozzarella or, for a mild dish, use fresh mozzarella and prosciutto di Parma. Serve with an arugula salad tossed with lemon juice and EVOO alongside.
- 1 1/2 pounds (4 pieces) boneless, skinless chicken breast, about 6 ounces each
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 slices smoked or fresh mozzarella, 1/2-inch thick
- 8 slices speck or prosciutto di Parma
- 8 slices vine-ripe tomato
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- A few leaves of basil, torn
Heat oven to 400ºF. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add butter and garlic clove, and melt butter into oil. Add chicken and lightly brown 2-3 minutes per side then remove to plate.
Sprinkle chopped thyme over chicken and top each piece with a slice of cheese and then wrap with speck or prosciutto di Parma. Arrange chicken on a baking sheet and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon olive oil to lightly coat. Bake 15-20 minutes and remove; switch on broiler.
Arrange tomatoes on a baking sheet and cover them with Parm and breadcrumbs. Broil until golden, 3 minutes or so. Arrange 2 slices of broiled tomatoes on each chicken breast, garnish with torn basil and serve.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook