Chicken with Mushroom-Dijon Gravy
This elegant chicken dinner can be whipped up in no time.
- 1 1/2 cups white and wild rice blend
- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced (if you’re having a sleepy day, buy the pre-packaged sliced mushrooms to save yourself some time)
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed from stems
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
Yields: 4 servings
Cook rice according to package directions and bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat for the asparagus.
While the rice is cooking, heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken breasts until brown on each side and cooked through.
Once the water is boiling, add some salt and the asparagus, and cook until tender. Drain and reserve.
When the chicken is finished, remove it from the pan and reserve. Add the butter to the hot pan and melt. Add the mushrooms to the pan and brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add the shallots and thyme, and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. When all the vegetables are tender, sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and shallots, cook about 1 minute then stir in the white wine, chicken stock, Dijon mustard and heavy cream. Cook about 2 minutes, until thickened.
Serve chicken topped with the Dijon gravy and the rice and asparagus alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook