Chicken Thighs with Louisiana Style Gravy
Serve this Southern-style chicken dinner with Fancy Mac 'N Cheese with Garlic Butter Breadcrumbs.
- 8 pieces bone-in, skin-off chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- Flour, for dredging, plus 1 rounded tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rib celery with leafy top, finely chopped
- 1/2 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons lemon or orange zest
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- About 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- A few dashes hot sauce
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
Yields: Serves 4
Season chicken liberally with salt, pepper and paprika. Dredge chicken pieces in flour, shaking off any excess.
Heat a tablespoon of oil, one turn of the pan, in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Add 4 pieces of chicken and brown on both sides. Remove browned pieces to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken.
Add butter to the pan and melt. Add in celery, pepper, onion, garlic, thyme, zest and season with salt and pepper. Stir 5 minutes until the veggies are tender then stir in tomato paste. Sprinkle in 1 rounded tablespoon flour, stir 1 minute, then whisk in wine. Stir in stock and season with Worcestershire and hot sauce.
Slide reserved chicken into pot, nestling the pieces into the sauce. Cover and simmer to cook through, 7-8 minutes. Garnish with scallions on top and serve with crusty bread, rice or mac 'n cheese alongside.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook