Chili Meatball Bites with Cheesy Dipper
Whip up this time-friendly snack before your next party and it is sure to be a huge hit!
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups crushed tortilla chips (just use the bits in the bottom of the bag)
- 1 14.5-ounce can kidney beans, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
Yields: Serves 4 as a snack
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic to the pan, and cook until the veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the spices to the pan and cook another minute. Season the veggies with salt and pepper, and transfer to a bowl to cool.
Spread the crushed chips out on a plate or in a pie dish.
When the veggies are cool, add the beans and meat to the bowl, season with salt and pepper and combine. Shape the mixture into two-bite-sized balls and roll each of them in the crushed chips. Arrange the meatball bites on a baking sheet, drizzle lightly with EVOO and bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
While the meatballs are baking, place a pot over medium heat with the butter. When the butter has melted, sprinkle the flour over top and cook about 1 minute. Whisk the stock and milk into the butter-flour mixture and bring up to a bubble. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove pot from heat and whisk in the cheese until melted.
Serve the chili meatball bites with the cheesy dipper alongside.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook