Chunky Roasted Tomato, Potato and Garlic Soup
- 1 bulb garlic, end trimmed to expose cloves
- About 1/3 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil for liberal drizzling, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 3 to 4 pounds ripe heirloom, plum and/or vine-ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- About 1 cup fresh basil, torn
- 2 to 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
Drizzle garlic with some EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in a foil pouch and roast 35-45 minutes or until light golden and tender.
Prick the skins of the potatoes several times with a fork and roast to tender alongside garlic, 50-60 minutes.
Arrange the tomatoes on a large baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO. Season with thyme, salt and pepper, and roast in the center of your oven until skins burst and they’re charred at the edges, 35-40 minutes.
Squish all the roasted garlic cloves into a large bowl and add the cooked potato flesh. Drain in the juice from tomatoes and mash to combine then add tomatoes and mash with potato masher. Add mixture back to the pot with the stock to thin soup a bit. Serve in shallow bowls with lots of cheese.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook