Corn-Beef Hash Topped with Fried Eggs and Cheese
Corn and beef hash, not corned beef.
- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin beef
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (about 2 palmfuls) chili powder
- 1 tablespoon (about 1 palmful) cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (add more or less depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into medium dice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 ears corn, kernels removed or 1 10-ounce box frozen corn, defrosted
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (a small handful) chopped cilantro
Yields: 6 servings
Place a high-sided skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the meat to the skillet, breaking it up a wooden spoon or potato masher, and cook until caramelized, 6-7 minutes.
Add the garlic, onion, chili powder, cumin, tomato paste, hot sauce, peppers and corn to the pan. Cook until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Season everything with salt and pepper, add the stock to the skillet and cook until the liquid has reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes more.
While the hash is simmering, place a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Break the eggs into the pan, spacing them about an inch apart. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and cook, flipping once, until the whites have set, about 4 minutes total.
To serve, fill a bowl with a couple spoonfuls of hash, topping it off with some shredded cheese, a fried egg and a garnish of cilantro.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook