Cuban Style Monte Cristos
Perfect for sandwich night. Serve with pineapple slaw!
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or pasted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 8 slices good quality sliced white bread
- 8 thin deli slices of Swiss cheese
- 8 thin deli slices baked ham
- 8 thin deli slices of smoked turkey or roast pork
- 4 thin horizontal slices of dill pickles or slice your own from 1 pickle or use store-bought sandwich stacker sliced pickles
- 3 eggs
Yields: Serves 4
In a small pot over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add garlic, sauté 2 minutes then whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in about 1 1/4 cups milk and let thicken 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in mustard and turn off heat.
Spread yellow mustard béchamel on 8 slices of bread. Build sammies with 2 slices Swiss, ham, turkey or pork and sliced pickle. In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs and remaining 1/4 cup milk.
Heat large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and melt. Turn sandwiches in the egg and milk mixture and add them to the pan. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side, until deep golden brown. Serve with Pineapple Slaw alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook