Easy Cheesy Enchiladas
This easy, cheesy supper is a real crowd-pleaser.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) cumin
- 1 14-ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock (use vegetable to make this vegetarian)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (a handful) cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack, Longhorn or mild cheddar cheese, divided
Yields: 4 servings of 3 enchiladas per person
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Heat EVOO in small saucepot over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic until tender, about 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, chili powder and cumin. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes and stock, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
While the enchilada sauce is simmering, soften the tortillas: Set up two skillets next to each other on the stovetop. Place one over medium heat with the canola oil and heat the other empty skillet over low. Using tongs, soften each tortilla 15 seconds on each side in the oil, shake off any excess then transfer to the dry skillet to keep the tortilla warm. Repeat this process with the rest of the tortillas. As you soften each one, place it underneath the last tortilla you browned. Eventually, you will end up with a stack of 12 softened tortillas in the same skillet.
In a bowl, combine the scallions and cilantro with 3 cups of cheese. Fill each softened tortilla with about 1/4 cup cheese and roll it up. Set the rolled tortillas in a row in a baking dish. When all the tortillas have been rolled, ladle the sauce evenly over the dish and top with the remaining cup of cheese. Bake until bubbly and brown on top, about 15 minutes. Serve with salad and spicy refried beans alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook