Egg Tagliatelle Carbonara with Peas and Spring Onions
- 1 cup freshly shelled peas
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 pound uncured bacon or pancetta, chopped or sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced or chopped
- 4 spring onions with green tops or 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley tops, finely chopped
- 3 organic egg yolks
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano
Simmer peas in salted water for 5 minutes; drain and reserve.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta; add salt and cook pasta to al dente.
Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon or pancetta and render to crisp. Add lots of pepper, garlic and whites of onions and stir 2-3 minutes. Add wine and zest.
When pasta is about done, reserve 1/2 cup starchy cooking water. Add another 1/4 cup starchy water to egg yolks and beat to temper the eggs.
Add onion greens, peas and parsley to sauce. Drain pasta and add it to sauce. Pour eggs over top and half the cheeses; toss 1-2 minutes to combine (use a little starchy cooking water if pasta tightens up too much before glossy coating forms). Top with remaining cheese and serve immediately.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook