Eggplant Parm with Egg Pasta
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive OIl
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pasted (minced then mashed with salt) or grated
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce or purée
- A handful of basil leaves, torn, plus a few for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- 4 small, firm eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 large eggs, beaten with a splash of water
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs, eyeball it
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, a handful
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 pound ball fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons butter
Yields: Serves 4
Heat EVOO in a saucepot over medium heat, add onions and cook 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Add tomatoes and sauce or purée, some torn basil, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes.
Meanwhile, season the eggplant slices with salt and let drain in a colander 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375˚F.
Coat eggplant slices in flour, the beaten eggs, then breadcrumbs mixed with 3/4 cup (3 handfuls) of cheese and parsley.
Heat a thin layer of olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Fry eggplant 3-4 minutes on each side then drain the slices on paper towels set over cooling rack. Heat up more oil in the pan, if necessary, and repeat frying process until all the eggplant is cooked.
Dot a casserole dish with some of the tomato sauce then arrange the eggplant in an overlapping layer. Dot the eggplant with more sauce and top with mozzarella. Bake 20 minutes until bubbly.
Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt and the pasta, and cook to al dente, then drain and place back in pot. Toss pasta with butter, a handful of cheese and tomato sauce.
Serve the eggplant parm with some pasta alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook