End of Summer Vegetable Soup
This soup freezes well. When serving, top with Rachael's Popper Croutons!
- 5 to 6 ears of corn
- 4 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- Finely chopped oregano or marjoram
- 4 large or 6 to 8 small to medium heirloom tomatoes, various colors
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 to 4 small ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large red or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds small, firm or seeded squash, such as zucchini or zucchini and yellow squash
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 Fresno or Italian red chili pepper, thinly sliced or seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 mild red or pale green frying peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 pound rainbow chard or kale leaves, very thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock
Yields: Serves 6
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Coat corn ears with 2 tablespoons EVOO, salt, pepper and oregano or marjoram. Roast in oven to brown the edges and develop the corn sugars. Let cool to handle. Scrape kernels and reserve.
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Score tomato skins with a knife and add them to the boiling water for a count of 30. Remove to bowl of cold water and cool. Drain and peel; chop and reserve.
Heat a large Dutch oven or your favorite soup pot over medium-high heat with a couple of tablespoons EVOO, a couple of turns of the pan. Add carrots, celery and onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cook to soften them up a bit, then add in zucchini, garlic, chilis, thyme, bay and peppers. Cook vegetables 10 minutes or so, stirring frequently.
Add in shredded chard or kale and let wilt. Stir in reserved corn and tomatoes, along with the stock. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer to desired flavor or consistency. Remove bay leaf, adjust seasonings and serve.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook