Steak and Eggs Supper: Fajita Frittata and Flat Iron Steaks with Lime
This steak dinner will take you all the way to Cuba!
- 4 flat iron steaks, about 8 ounces each
- 4 cloves garlic, 2 halved, 2 chopped
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling, plus 3 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups loosely packed flour or corn tortilla chips, homemade or store-bought, lightly crushed
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chilies or stewed tomatoes, drained well
- 12 large eggs
- 2 limes
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley or cilantro leaves, chopped
Yields: Serves 4
Preheat oven to 400˚F. Preheat cast-iron griddle or indoor grill pan to medium-high.
Rub steaks with cut side of the halved garlic cloves, coat with a liberal drizzle of EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Let stand 20-30 minutes to take the chill off.
In an 8- to 10-inch oven-safe skillet, heat 3 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, wrap any rubber-handled skillet in a double layer of aluminum foil. To the hot oil, add jalapeños, bell pepper, onions and chopped garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and cook to tender-crisp, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tortilla chips and tomatoes and stir to combine.
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper and pour into the skillet. Set the edges of the frittata, about 2-3 minutes, then transfer to oven and bake 12-15 minutes, until deep golden and firm. Let stand 5 minutes then cut into wedges and serve.
Meanwhile, griddle or grill steaks 10 minutes for rare and up to 16 minutes for well, turning once halfway through. Let meat rest about 5 minutes then thinly slice on an angle and dress with the juice of 1/2 lime per steak and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro per steak. Serves sliced steak with wedges of frittata alongside.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook