Fresh Tuna BLT
This protein-rich BLT is a healthier version of the diner fave.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 8 slices bacon or turkey bacon
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 fresh tuna steaks (about 4-6 ounces each), sliced across separating the tuna into 2 thin steaks
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) chipotle powder
- 8 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 1 head bibb or Boston lettuce, leaves torn from the core
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, sliced into 8 slices
- 1 bag fancy potato or tortilla chips
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the bacon and cook until crisp on both sides. Remove from the skillet to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Break the bacon slices in half and reserve. Let the skillet cool a bit and wipe it out with a paper towel for the tuna.
Place the avocados in a bowl along with the lime juice and some salt and pepper, smash until some what smooth with a fork, reserve.
Toast the bread slices under the broiler but keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn!
Preheat the skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the thin tuna steaks with the chipotle powder, drizzle a little EVOO over them and transfer to the skillet.
Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until it reaches desired doneness.
To assemble the sandwich, spread the avocado mash on a slice of bread. Top with a slice of tuna, 2 half-pieces of crispy bacon in an X, some lettuce, a slice of tomato, another piece of tuna, 2 more half-pieces of bacon, more lettuce and another slice of tomato.
Slather the last piece of bread with a little more of the avocado mixture and place it on top of the sandwich. Place a toothpick in each of the 4 corners of the sandwich then cut the bread into 4 triangles -- the toothpicks will help hold it together. Serve with chips alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook