Rachael turns the summer soup into a veggie-packed pasta dish.
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta or whole wheat penne pasta
- 3-4 stalks celery from the heart, finely chopped
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, two large handfuls, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, a small handful, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 pimentos or roasted red peppers, chopped
- A few dashes hot sauce
- Grated Manchego cheese or Romano cheese, for topping
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat oven to 425ºF and place a large pot of water over high heat to bring to a boil. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente. Heads up: you will need a cup of starchy cooking water just before draining.
Scatter the tomatoes and zucchini onto a baking sheet and drizzle them with about 2 tablespoons EVOO and some salt and pepper. Toss them in the oven and roast until the tomatoes have burst and the zucchini is tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile to a food processor add the celery, parsley, cilantro, almonds, zest and juice of lie and garlic. Turn on food processor and stream in EVOO, about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup. A splash of water or vegetable stock can help the pesto move in the processor.
Toss together in large bowl pesto, reserved cooking water pimientos or roasted peppers, pasta and roasted tomatoes and zucchini. Season with hot sauce and toss to combine. Garnish with scallions and grated cheese.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook