Greek Roast Turkey or Chicken Breast with Lemon, Feta and Olive Mashed Potatoes
- 1 stick butter, softened plus 4 tablespoons
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 shallot, grated or pasted
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 to 3 pounds boneless turkey breast, skin-on or 2 full bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock, divided
- 1/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup Greek feta crumbles
- 1/2 cup pitted green and Kalamata black olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Combine butter, garlic, shallot, oregano, parsley, lemon zest and juice in a food processor. Pulse to combine.
Pat turkey or chicken dry and arrange on a cooling rack set over baking sheet so the heat circulates around the meat as it roasts. Smear skin with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 45 minutes, to an internal temp of 170°F, until skin crisp and brown. Cover with loose foil and rest 10 minutes before carving.
Meanwhile, cover potatoes with cold water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Salt water and cook to tender, drain and return to pot. Add 2 tablespoons lemon-herb butter, 1/2 cup stock, EVOO, feta and olives, and mash. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reserve covered.
Melt remaining lemon-herb butter in a skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then whisk in remaining stock, about 1 1/2 cups. Cook to thicken, season with Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Temper egg yolk with some of the gravy then return to sauce to add gloss and deepen the gravy's smooth finish.
Slice turkey or chicken and serve with mashed potatoes and gravy.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook