Green Caponata With Sweet Creamy Polenta
Substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock in this recipe for a full-vegetarian meal!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 small to medium eggplants, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 cubanelle peppers, chopped
- 4 to 6 celery heart ribs with tops, chopped
- 2 medium-size onions, or 1 large, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, grated or chopped
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup green Sicilian pitted olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 20 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Yields: 4 servings
Add the parsley and basil to the caponata and stir to combine. Divide the polenta between 4 shallow bowls and top with some of the caponata and some of the toasted slivered almonds.
Place a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat with 3 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 3 tablespoons. Add the eggplant and toss to coat in the oil; cover the pot with a lid and cook for 10 minutes or until the eggplant start to wilt and get tender.
Remove the lid and add the cubanelle, celery, onion, garlic and raisins, season with some salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring every now and then for about 5 minutes.
Add the olives and the balsamic vinegar, and continue to cook for another few minutes.
Once you have the eggplant going, start the polenta: Place the chicken stock and milk in a sauce pot over high heat. Bring it up to a bubble then pour in the polenta in a slow steady stream while constantly whisking. Add the honey and butter, and season with some salt and pepper.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook