Ground Beef and Burgundy Shepherd’s Pie
Try this new take on Shepherd's pie!
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds potatoes or a combination of potatoes, parsnips and celery root for a richer flavor in your mash, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups red burgundy wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 to 2/3 whole milk or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
Yields: Serves 4
Boil potatoes with root vegetables, if using, until tender.
While potatoes cook, heat EVOO in a Dutch oven or large skillet with high sides over medium-high heat. Add bacon and crisp 2-3 minutes then add beef and brown well. Add shallots, carrot, mushrooms, bay and thyme to the pan. Cook vegetables 7-8 minutes to soften, then season with salt and pepper. Add wine to the pan and scrape up drippings, let reduce 1-2 minutes, then add in stock and Worcestershire sauce.
In a small pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter and combine with flour, whisk 1 minute then pour the roux into beef mixture. Stir to combine and thicken.
Preheat broiler with rack in center of the oven.
Drain cooked potatoes and/or root vegetables and return them to the hot pot. Mash with remaining 2 tablespoons butter, milk or half-and-half, herbs, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. When you have reached your desired consistency, stir in the egg.
Scoop the meat into a casserole dish or individual casseroles set on a baking sheet. Top the meat with potatoes. Place under broiler, until brown.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook