Guinness Stew with Soda Bread
This Irish classic is so easy to prepare.
- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 pounds top round, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced on a slight angle into pieces about 1/2-inch thick
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced on an angle into pieces about 1/2-inch thick
- 1 large or 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut in half then cut into wedges 1/2-inch thick
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bottle Guinness beer
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 pound small new potatoes, scrubbed and left whole
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 loaf store-bought Irish soda bread
- 6 cups beef stock
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Place a large pot over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons EVOO, about 2 turns of the pan. Add the meat to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until well-seared on all sides, 7-8 minutes total. Remove the meat from the pot and reserve it on a plate.
Add the bacon to the pot and cook until brown and crispy, 4-5 minutes. Add the onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, turnips, bay leaf, cumin and allspice to the pot, and cook until the veggies begin to get tender, 6-7 minutes.
Add the honey, Worcestershire, Guinness, reserved meat, stock and potatoes to the pot and bring to a bubble. Cover the pot and transfer the stew to the oven. Cook until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
After an hour has passed, remove the stew from the oven and place it on the stovetop over medium-high heat to bring up to a bubble. Place a small skillet over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour over the butter and cook it for about one minute.
Scoop a mugful of the broth from the pot and whisk it into the roux. Transfer the thickened liquid back to the pot of stew and allow it to cook at a bubble for 2-3 minutes, until thickened. Serve up the stew with some Irish soda bread alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook