Half-and-Half Short Ribs with Escarole, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips with Parmigiano
These short ribs are cooked in half a bottle of ruby port and half a bottle of bold Barolo wine.
- For the Half-and-Half Short Ribs:
- About 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 6 large beef short ribs, about 14-16 ounces each
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 to 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 large bay leaves
- Herb bundle of parsley, rosemary
- A few juniper berries, optional
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups ruby port
- 2 cups Barolo or other dry red wine
- 1 quart veal or beef stock
- For the Escarole:
- 1/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 2 flat filet anchovies, (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 heads escarole, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- For the Roasted Garlic Potatoes and Parsnips:
- For the Roasted Garlic:
- 2 bulbs garlic, ends cut to expose the cloves
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds starchy potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups half-and-half or milk
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
For the Half-and-Half Short Ribs:
Heat oven to 325ºF.
Heat oil, 3 turns of the pan, in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil smokes, add 3 ribs at a time and deeply brown on all sides before removing to a plate. When all of the meat has been browned, add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, bay, herbs and juniper berries (if using) to the pot. Season with salt and pepper and partially cover. Cook vegetables 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then deglaze the pan with balsamic vinegar. Add port and wine, and reduce by half. Add stock and settle meat back into pot bone-side up. Cover and roast 2 1/2-3 hours, until very tender.
Cool ribs to remove fat. (Making them a full day-ahead of time is best.)
For extra crispy ribs, remove from braising liquids and roast in 400ºF oven on a baking sheet for 10-15 minutes.
Strain skimmed sauce and pour over meat when you serve.
Serve with pickled onions or sautéed red pearl onions and horseradish cream sauce alongside.
For the Escarole:
Heat EVOO over medium heat with crushed garlic. Stir garlic until light golden and fragrant then remove. Melt anchovies into garlic-infused oil, if using. Add onions and cook until tender, 10-12 minutes. Wilt in greens and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add stock and keep warm at a low simmer.
For the Roasted Garlic Potatoes and Parsnips:
Heat oven to 400ºF.
Dress the garlic bulbs with a drizzle of EVOO, rosemary sprigs and season with salt and pepper. Wrap bulbs in foil and roast until tender and sweet, 40 minutes. Let cool to handle.
Place potatoes and parsnips in a pot and cover with water, bring to boil and cook to tender. Drain and return to hot pot.
Mash the potatoes with the roasted garlic cloves, salt and pepper, half-and-half or milk, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
To hold the potatoes for a long time, set potato pot into a larger pot with 1 inch simmering water. Keep potatoes covered and stir occasionally.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook