Rachael puts a new spin on the classic cacciatore.
- 1 pound whole wheat penne
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 4 thick slices pancetta, chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 large portobello mushrooms, cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 bottle red wine
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- A few handfuls Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 loaf crusty bread
Yields: 6 servings
Place a large pot of water over high heat. Once it comes up to a boil, add some salt and the pasta, and cook according to package directions until al dente.
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and chicken pieces, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring every now and then, until chicken is slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove and reserve pancetta and chicken on a paper towel-lined plate.
To the pot, add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, rosemary and red pepper flakes. Cook until the veggies are softened, about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the red wine to the pan and let it cook out for about 2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and chicken stock, and bring to a bubble. Let simmer for 5 minutes then add the reserved browned chicken and pancetta back to the pot and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
When pasta is al dente, drain and return it back to the pot. Add a handful or two of Pecorino Romano cheese and a drizzle of EVOO. Toss to coat pasta with cheese and oil.
To serve, place some of the pasta in the bottom of your serving bowls, pour the stoup over the pasta, some additional grated Romano and chopped parsley. Serve with crusty bread alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook