Italian-Style Grilled Cheese and Spinach Sandwiches
- 1 box organic chopped, frozen spinach, defrosted and wrung dry in a clean dish towel
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup fresh sheep or cow’s milk ricotta
- 1/3-1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, a couple of handfuls
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Good quality salted butter, melted
- 8 slices hand-cut, good quality white bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 8 deli slices provolone cheese
- 8 deli slices Wisconsin mozzarella cheese
Separate the spinach to loosen the leaves after drying. Heat EVOO in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and stir 2 minutes; add spinach and combine. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat.
Stir together ricotta, parm, salt, pepper and thyme.
Liberally brush 1 side of each slice of bread with melted butter.
Build sandwiches: a slice of bread with the buttered side down, 2 slices provolone, some spinach, ricotta-parm mixture, 2 slices mozzarella and another slice of bread with the buttered side up.
Heat a griddle over medium heat. Grill sandwiches until cheese is melted and they’re deeply golden.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook