Serve with Watermelon Salad.
- About 1/3 cup soy sauce or Tamari
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- About 1/3 cup apple juice
- Juice of 4 limes
- About 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon, a scant palmful, sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon coriander, a scant palmful
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin, half a palmful
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 to 8, a small bunch, thin scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, cracked from skins and grated or pasted
- 6 to 8 scotch bonnet chilies or habanero peppers, seeds and ribs removed if prefer less heat
- 2-inch piece ginger root, peeled and grated
- 4 bay leaves
- 12 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken legs and thighs, and split breasts
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 2 to 3 scallions, sliced, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
In a food processor or blender combine soy, Worcestershire, apple juice, lime juice, canola oil, paprika, allspice, coriander, thyme, cumin, cinnamon, chopped scallions, shallots, garlic, chilies and ginger, and process into a smooth sauce. Reserve 1/3 of the sauce for dipping and drizzling. Place the remaining sauce in a large plastic food storage bag and add bay leaves.
Pat chicken dry and season with Kosher salt and lots of coarse black pepper. Add chicken to bag and rub sauce into chicken using bag to protect your hands. Marinate chicken 1-2 days.
Bring chicken to room temperature before cooking; 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Prepare grill with woodchips to medium-low heat or heat a grill pan to medium-low. Grill chicken skin-side up covered or under a foil tent for 20 minutes. Flip and cook 15 minutes more, turning occasionally, 35 minutes total or until a thermometer reads an internal temperature of 160°F.
Let stand a few minutes and serve with extra sauce for spooning at the table. Top with sliced scallions and serve with lime wedges on the side.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook