Lidia Bastianich's Almond Pesto Trapanese over Seared Chicken
This recipe was featured in the September 2012 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- 6 medium skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Coarse salt
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup salted toasted almonds
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Grana Padano
Cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal, making each piece about the same weight. Season with salt then rub with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Using a blender or food processor, purée the tomatoes, basil, almonds, garlic, 1 to 2 teaspoons salt and the crushed red pepper for about 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl. With the machine on, pour in the remaining oil in a steady stream to emulsify.
Preheat a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet. Working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding, add the chicken breasts and sear until golden, a few minutes on each side (make sure not to overcook).
Transfer the chicken pieces to plates and top with the pesto. To serve, sprinkle the cheese on top.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook