Meatloaf Patties with Bacon Gravy and Peas
Serve this comfort food classic with Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese and Chives.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 slices marble rye or regular bread for 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs (you can substitute regular breadcrumbs if you don't want to make your own)
- Splash of milk
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 large onion, 1/2 grated and 1/2 sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 2 teaspoons grill seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 bottle beer, any kind you like
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 10-ounce box frozen peas
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, divided
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat a large non-stick skillet with 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat.
Tear the bread into chunks and toss into a food processor. Grind until you get breadcrumbs. You need about a 1/2 cup. Transfer to a bowl and add a splash of milk to moisten the breadcrumbs. While the bread is soaking up the milk, combine the rest of the ingredients for the patties.
In a mixing bowl, combine ground sirloin, grated onion, Worcestershire sauce, grill seasoning, mustard, egg, parsley, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Wring the breadcrumbs out and add it to the meat mixture. Mix with your hands to combine. Score meat into four equal portions then form into four large, oval patties that are 3/4-inch thick. Cook the patties for about 7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm until serving time.
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate and reserve. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan, add sliced onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle the onions with the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for an additional minute. Whisk in the beer and the beef stock and bring to a bubble. Cook until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
To make the peas, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the peas and chicken stock. Let the chicken stock reduce slightly and place in a serving bowl. Garnish with the reserved bacon. Serve patties with Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese and Chives and peas alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook