APB: Milanese-Style Risotto with Pumpkin
This is one of the new APB recipes and is featured in Rachael's new app Tasty Bytes.
- 1 small cooking pumpkin or 1 medium-large butternut squash
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- A generous handful pumpkin seeds, about 1/3 cup
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or shelled, chopped pistachio nuts
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 generous pinch saffron threads
- 2 cups water
- 2 to 3 large cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, very finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, a couple of handfuls, plus some to pass at table
- Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Yields: Serves 4
Preheat oven to 375°F.
To peel pumpkin, cut in half then scoop out seeds. Cut into wedges and carve flesh away from skin and chop into small bite-sized pieces.
For the butternut squash, cut in half across, separating the upper half from the bulbous bottom. Then, use a sharp vegetable peeler or pairing knife to trim away skin. Cut off top stem and chop into bite-sized pieces. Halve bulbous end, seed and chop.
Lightly dress pumpkin or squash in EVOO, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Arrange pieces on a baking sheet or cooling rack set over baking sheet. Roast 35-40 minutes, until very tender. Toast the pumpkin seeds and nuts in the oven the last few minutes of roasting time.
Purée half the squash or pumpkin in a food processor until smooth; reserve the remainder in dish.
Meanwhile, combine stock and water and saffron threads in a saucepot. Bring to boil then reduce heat to low and keep liquids warm.
In a round-bottomed pan or skillet heat EVOO, 2 turns of the pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions and soften a few minutes. Stir in Arborio and toast a minute or 2, add wine and let it absorb completely. Add saffron stock in small batches of a few ladles at a time, stirring a minute or 2 for each addition of stock. Cook the liquids out and continue to add more a ladle or two at a time for 18 minutes. Stir in butter, cheese and purée of squash or pumpkin. Serve in shallow bowls topped with pieces of roasted squash, seeds, nuts and herbs.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook