Monte Cristo Clubs
- 8 slices smoky center-cut bacon
- 1 loaf good quality white Pullman bread, such as Amy’s hand-cut or Pepperidge Farm white
- 1 large or 2 medium leeks
- 4 to 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- Salt and pepper
- Deli sliced Swiss cheese, 1/4 to 1/3 pound
- 4 thin slices ripe tomato
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce or chutney of choice
- 4 slices roast turkey breast
- 4 slices ham
- Deli-sliced cheddar cheese, 1/4 to 1/3 pound
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-n-half
- 2 round tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons Dijon or grainy Dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange bacon on a slotted broiler pan and bake to crisp 15-18 minutes.
If the bread you are using has a crispy crust, cut 12 slices and trim crust of 3. If using pre-packaged rather than freshly baked bread, this is unnecessary.
Slice and clean leeks, drain well. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet. Add leeks and sauté to tender, 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Build sandwiches: a slice of bread, Swiss slice, leeks, tomato slice, bacon, Swiss slice, trimmed (if using) crust slice of bread, cranberry sauce or chutney, cheddar, turkey, ham, cheddar, bread.
Heat griddle pan over medium heat. Rub griddle with butter.
Beat eggs with half-n-half. Coat sandwiches in egg batter. Griddle to deep golden under loose foil tent, 12-15 minutes turning occasionally.
For gravy, heat a skillet over medium heat with 2 to 3 tablespoons butter. Whisk in a couple rounded tablespoons of flour and add broth. Season with salt and pepper, Worcestershire and maple syrup. Cook to thicken up to coat spoon then stir in mustard.
Cut sandwiches corner to corner and serve with maple-mustard gravy dipper alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook