Mother's Day BLD: Buckwheat Crepes with Ham, Gruyère, Asparagus Tips and Eggs
This meal can be prepared for breakfast, lunch or dinner and is sure to make mom smile!
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, plus 1/4 cup for scrambled eggs
- 11 large eggs, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, 3 melted, divided, plus additional for eggs
- A drizzle of honey or agave syrup, a scant tablespoon
- Fine sea salt
- EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 1/3 pound French ham or other mild ham, cut into 2-inch sticks
- 3/4 cup thin asparagus tips, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
Yields: Serves 4
Whisk together the flours, milk, 3 eggs, melted butter, a few pinches of sea salt and a drizzle of sweetener. Whisk until completely smooth. Let batter rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small pot or dish. Heat a crepe pan or a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Brush the pan with some melted butter using a pastry brush and add a scant 1/4 cup or medium ladleful of the crepe batter to the pan. Immediately swirl the pan to coat it evenly with the batter. Cook 1 minute then slide a thin spatula carefully underneath and flip the crepe. Cook a few seconds less on the second side then transfer to a plate. Repeat to make 8-10 crepes.
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham and warm through then add asparagus tips and cook to tender-crisp, 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
Beat the remaining 8 eggs with 1/4 cup milk, salt, pepper, chives and mustard. Add a dab of butter to the skillet and scramble eggs over medium-low heat to desired consistency. Slide reserved ham and asparagus back into the eggs to combine. Remove from heat.
On each crepe, place some egg mixture, some cheese and roll up the crepes. Serve 2 crepes per person with salad alongside.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook