Mrs. Groover's Banana Nut Delight Cake
Paula Deen makes this version of her mother-in-law's cake with Rachael.
From Paula Deen by Paula Deen. Copyright (C) 2007 by Paula Deen. Reprinted by permission of Simon & Schuster, Inc. Available wherever books are sold.
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana
- 2 large eggs
- For the cream cheese and nut frosting:
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- One 1-pound box confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Yields: 1 8-inch three-layer or 1 9-inch two-layer cake
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour three 8-inch or two 9-inch cake pans.
Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl; add the shortening, buttermilk, and banana. Mix until all the dry ingredients are dampened, then beat at low speed for 2 minutes. Add the eggs and beat for 1 minute.
Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then turn out the cakes on a rack to cool completely before frosting.
Combine the cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla extract and beat until fluffy. Fold in the pecans, and frost the cake. If you love lots of icing, you can make 1 1/2 times this recipe. Remember, this is not banana bread but a stacked cake, so be sure to frost between the layers as well as the outside.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook