Muffin Tin Pot Pies
These individual-sized pot pies are perfect for the kids!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, halved, divided
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus a drizzle or cooking spray for oiling muffin tin
- A handful mushroom caps, sliced or chopped
- 1 small rib celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup defrosted frozen peas and carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus a sprinkle to roll out dough
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8-ounce sheet frozen puff pastry dough, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
Yields: Makes 6 individual pot pies
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Place chicken in a pan with 1/2 of the onion and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Gently poach chicken until cooked through. Remove from liquid and dice or shred with forks in a mixing bowl.
Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and brown 5 minutes. Finely chop remaining 1/2 onion and add to the pan along with the celery. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until tender, a few minutes more. Add frozen veggies and heat through, a minute or 2 more. Add veggies to bowl with shredded or cut chicken.
Return the skillet to the heat and add butter. Melt butter, add flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in stock and let thicken a minute or 2. Stir in cream and heat through. Add Dijon, dill or thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat and pour over chicken and vegetables, and stir to combine.
Wipe a large, 6-cup muffin tin with oil or spray with cooking spray. Roll out dough and cut into 6 squares. Place each square in a cup, fill with chicken, vegetable and gravy mix. Pull in all four points of the crust over the filling so they meet in the middle, forming 6 individual pot pies. Brush pies with egg wash and bake 25-30 minutes until crisp and deeply golden. Let stand a few minutes before removing from the muffin cups. Serve with a green salad or other leafy green vegetable alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook