Nick Mangold's C.B.C. (Chorizo Bacon Chili)
One of the recipes in the Super Bowl Recipe Playoff.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 strips of thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo sausage, removed from casings
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 6 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, finely chopped
- 4 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- Your favorite chili toppings
Yields: 6-8 servings
Drizzle oil into cast-iron pot over medium to medium-high heat.
Add the bacon to the pot and brown. Remove and set it aside for later, leaving drippings in the pot.
Add the onion to the pot and cook slightly. Add chorizo into the pot and crumble it with a spatula as it cooks. When the chorizo is almost done, add in the ground beef, salt, ground black pepper and garlic.
Once everything is cooked, add in the peppers, celery and corn. Let the veggies sweat for a couple of minutes then add all the spices in and stir to combine. Add the beef stock, scraping up any bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce, taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. Add the reserved bacon and stir to combine. Bring up to a bubble, then reduce to a simmer. Let the pot simmer and serve when ready (the longer the simmer the better).
Garnish with your favorite chili toppings, like parsley, shredded cheddar cheese and a good helping of hot sauce.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook