Open-Faced Monte Cristo Clubs
Try this open-faced version of a classic sammy!
- 8 slices good quality bacon
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, cut into slices an inch thick, washed and dried
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- About 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 hand-cut thick slices good quality white bread
- Butter, for griddle
- 4 deli slices baked ham
- 4 deli slices good quality turkey breast
- 4 slices heirloom tomato or beefsteak tomato
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese or 4 slices Emmenthaler Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup dark Amber maple syrup
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
Yields: Serves 4
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bacon on cooling rack set over a baking sheet or on a slotted broiler pan. Bake until crisp, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat EVOO, a turn of the pan, in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and sauté to soften, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and reserve.
Remove bacon from oven and switch on broiler. Heat a nonstick or cast-iron griddle over medium heat.
Whisk together the eggs, hot sauce, milk, some salt and pepper. Soak bread in eggs. Butter the griddle and cook bread until golden.
Arrange the cooked toast on a baking sheet. Top each with 1 slice of ham and turkey then top with some leeks, a slice of tomato, crossed strips of bacon and some cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese is melted and golden, 1-2 minutes.
Mix syrup and mustard together and serve in ramekins alongside the sandwiches.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook