Pasta alla Carbonara with Spring Onions and Lemon
This dish is perfect for any season; the citrus flavor of the lemon brightens the dish making it great for spring!
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 pound pancetta, chopped into fine dice
- About 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small Fresno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped, optional
- 1 bunch spring onions (scallions), finely chopped, whites and greens separated
- Zest and juice of 1 large, ripe organic lemon, divided
- About 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3/4 to 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 large organic egg yolks
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, very finely chopped
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, a couple of handfuls
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano, a couple of handfuls
Yields: Serves 4, or 1 if it is my husband John
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt and cook pasta to al dente. Reserve 1/2 to 3/4 cup of starchy water just before draining pasta.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with EVOO, 3 turns of the pan. Add pancetta, season with black pepper and brown lightly. Stir in garlic, chili, whites of chopped green onions, lemon zest and thyme. Stir 2-3 minutes then add wine, a couple turns of the pan, and reduce by half, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
When pasta is about ready, in a bowl, beat reserved starchy water with egg yolks to temper them.
Add lemon juice, parsley and greens of onions to skillet.
Drain pasta and add to skillet. Turn off heat, pour in tempered eggs and sprinkle in a small handful of each of the cheeses. Toss vigorously, 1-2 minutes, until sauce coats pasta and is thick and shiny. Serve in shallow bowls with a little extra cheese on top.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook