Penne with Vodka Sauce, Pearl Onions and Peas
The perfect classic pasta dish for a cozy night indoors!
- 1 bag fresh red or white pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup cream
- 1 box penne rigate
- 1/2 cup baby peas, a small handful
- 1/4 cup tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced or torn
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Yields: Serves 4
Bring a medium-size pot of water to a boil. Add pearl onions and boil 3 minutes. Drain, cool and trim root ends. Pop onions out of the skins.
Place a large pot of water over high heat for the pasta.
Heat a deep saucepan or skillet over medium heat with EVOO and butter. Add onions and garlic to skillet, season with salt and pepper. Add vodka and reduce a minute or 2. Add tomatoes and stir. Heat through then add cream and let reduce at a low, bubbling simmer while pasta cooks.
Cook pasta in boiling, salted water to al dente and drain.
Add peas and herbs to pasta sauce and stir to heat through, 1-2 minutes. Add pasta to sauce and toss 1 minute to combine. Serve pasta with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese at the table.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook