Peter Cooper's Turkey Chili
This recipe is part of Rachael's "5-Alarm Cook-Off."
- 2 yellow onions, minced, divided
- 1 pound ground chorizo
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 16-ounce cans Hunt's tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons cumin
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 pounds 93% lean ground turkey
- 3 packets of El Paso spicy taco seasoning
- 2 serrano or habanero peppers, minced
- 3 bell peppers, chopped large squares
- 4 ounces Cholula hot sauce
- 2 16-ounce cans black beans
- 4 ears corn, shucked
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped, divided
- 1 16-ounce container sour cream
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar shredded
- 4 avocados
- 5 sourdough bread bowls
Sauté 1/2 onion and ground chorizo in some olive oil in a saucepot until browned. Pour tomato sauce in, adding cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, honey, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Bring sauce to boil on a medium flame.
In the meantime, in a skillet, heat some oil and cook turkey. Add taco seasoning and meat to boiling sauce along with serrano or habanero, bell peppers and hot sauce. Place on simmer for at least 50 minutes and no more than 2 hours.
While that's simmering cook beans and remaining onions until brown. Place corn in boiling water. Cook until tender then remove kernals from cobs.
Once beans are heated but still very firm, drain them and add to chili along with corn. About 15 before serving, add the grape tomatoes, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 cup cheese and remaining cooked onions to sauce and fold into mixture to add a nice creamy texture. Shut flame off about 5-10 minutes prior to serving to let chili cool a bit and "come together".
Serve in sourdough bread bowls topped with spoonfuls of guacamole, sour cream and a pinch of cilantro.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook