Pimiento Mac 'n' Cheese
Rach turns a Southern snack into a hearty supper.
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta, hollow, fat corkscrew shaped pasta or pasta elbow pasta
- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika, plus additional for garnish
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 cups sharp yellow cheddar, grated
- 2 4-ounce jars of pimientos, drained
- 1/4 cup flat or curly parsley, finely chopped
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
Preheat broiler to high or oven to 400°F.
Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring it up to a boil to cook the pasta. Once at a boil, add pasta and salt the water, cook to just shy of al dente.
Heat a large pot over medium heat with EVOO and butter. When butter melts, add the onions, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stir in paprika. Add the flour and cook a minute more. Whisk in milk and hot sauce, and bring up to a bubble, thicken a minute or 2. Turn off the heat, and stir in half of the cheese in a figure-eight motion until melted.
When the pasta is done, drain it well and add it to the pot with the cheese sauce. Toss to combine. Fold in the drained pimentos, pour into into baking dish and top with the remaining cheese, brown under the broiler.
Garnish with the chopped parsley and a generous sprinkle of sweet paprika. Serve with Honey-Mustard Dressed Green Bean Salad alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook