Pork Chops or Chicken with Biscuits & Tomato Gravy
This recipe was featured in the March 2012 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- 1 8-ounce box biscuit mix, such as Jiffy
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1-inch-thick or 4 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Sprinkle of flour
Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Prepare the biscuit mix according to package directions, adding the cayenne. Drop 8 scoops of dough onto a baking sheet and brush with a few tablespoons cream. Bake on the upper rack until golden.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, jalapeño and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes.
In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Season the chops or chicken with salt and pepper, add to the pan and brown for a few minutes on each side. Transfer the pan to the lower rack of the oven to finish cooking, 10-12 minutes.
Stir the tomatoes, chicken stock and flour into the vegetables. When the tomatoes are hot, stir in the remaining cream and simmer the gravy for 10 minutes to thicken.
Top the chops or chicken with the tomato gravy and serve the hot biscuits alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook