John's Pork Mole
Looking for something new to make your honey tonight? This one is perfect for date night!
- 6 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 1/2-pound pork shoulder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 medium yellow onions, one quartered and one finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cloves of garlic, 2 whole and 4 finely chopped
- 1 large lemon, halved
- Sachet of rosemary, thyme, parsley, oregano, sage, and bay
- 2 cups water
- 3 to 4 Ancho chilis, stemmed and seeded
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes or tomatoes with chilis
- Toasted sesame seeds, chopped cilantro (optional), pickled jalapeños and chopped red onion, for garnish
Heat 2 tablespoons of EVOO in a Dutch oven over high heat.
Season pork liberally with salt and pepper. Place into pot and brown on all sides. Remove and reserve.
Into the same pot, add 2 more tablespoons of EVOO, if needed. Add quartered onion, carrot, whole garlic cloves and cook until soft. Put the pork back into the pot and fill with enough water to cover meat. Add lemon and herb sachet. Cook over medium heat for 1 1/2-2 hours, until pork is cooked through.
Remove pork and strain braising liquid back into pot. Add anchos and cook over medium heat to soften. Purée liquid in a food processor and reserve. Shred pork using two forks.
In a large sauté pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO and sauté chopped onion and chopped garlic. Add salt, pepper, cocoa powder, cumin, coriander and oregano. When onions and garlic are soft, add shredded pork, 2 cups ancho purée, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat until simmering and reduce until thick like a stew.
Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, cilantro, jalapeños and red onion. Serve with either rice or warm flour tortillas.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook