Potato-Beet Latkes with Horseradish Cream
This recipe was featured in the December 2012 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- 1 large baking potato (about 10 oz), peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil or peanut oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh grated horseradish
- 2 medium peeled raw beets (about 6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup finely sliced scallion greens
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Yields: 1 1/2 dozen
Using a food processor fitted with a coarse grating disk, grate the potato and onion; discard any large pieces. Transfer the mixture to a clean dish towel and squeeze out any excess liquid then transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the flour, egg, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the baking powder.
In small bowl, whisk together crème fraîche, horseradish and a generous pinch of salt; cover and refrigerate.
To a food processor, add beets then combine with potatoes and onions. Add scallion greens and dill to batter.
In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in 5 to 6 batches, drop 2-tablespoon scoops of batter into the pan about 2 inches apart. Using a spatula, flatten the batter into disks. Cook, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. (Lower the heat if the latkes darken too quickly.) Drain on paper towels. Serve with horseradish cream alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook