Rick Bayless' Guacamole with Strawberries and Habanero
- 3 ripe medium- large avocados
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped into pieces no larger than 1/4 inch (1/3 cup)
- 1/2 to 1 fresh habanero pepper, stemmed, seeded, deveined and finely chopped
- 1 lime
- 1 small orange
- 3 tablespoons loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup (about 4 ounces) chopped ripe strawberries, plus a little extra for garnish
Yields: about 3 cups
Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh from each half into a larger bowl. With an old-fashioned potato masher, a large fork or the back of a large spoon, coarsely mash the avocado.
Scoop the onion into a strainer, rinse under cold water, shake off the excess and then add to the avocado, along with the habanero.
Finely grate the zest from the citrus: you need about 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest and about 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest. Add them to the bowl, then juice both fruits and add 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1 tablespoon orange juice to the bowl.
Add the chopped cilantro and strawberries then carefully stir everything together. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1 teaspoon. Cover with plastic wrap pressed directly on the guacamole and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
To serve, scoop the guacamole into a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped strawberries.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook