Rick Bayless' Watermelon-Ginger Guacamole
- 1 cup (6 ounces) cubed (1/4-inch dice), seedless watermelon, you’ll need about a 1-pound chunk of watermelon
- 2 tablespoons blanco tequila
- 3 ripe medium to large avocados
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- A small piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 fresh red jalapeño or Fresno chile, stemmed, seeded if you wish and finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, like mint or cilantro
Yields: about 3 cups
Place the watermelon cubes into a resealable plastic bag. Sprinkle in the tequila and seal. Refrigerate while you’re making the guacamole.
Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit then scoop the flesh from each half into a large bowl. With an old-fashioned potato masher, a large fork or the back of a large spoon, coarsely mash the avocado.
Grate the zest from half of the lime into the avocado. Juice the lime and squeeze in 2 tablespoons of juice.
Finely grate the ginger. Measure about 1/2 teaspoon and add it to the avocado, along with the chile and herbs. Stir to combine, then taste and season with salt, usually about 1 teaspoon. Cover with plastic wrap pressed directly on the surface of the guacamole and refrigerate until serving time.
To serve, gently stir half of the watermelon into the guacamole, scoop the mixture into a serving dish and top with the remaining watermelon.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook