Root Vegetable Mac 'n' Cheese
This recipe appeared in the November 2010 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound carrots, sliced 1 inch thick
- 1/2 pound celery root bulb, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes or 1/2 pound parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound whole grain or whole wheat elbow macaroni or other small-cut pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese (about 9 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pickled vegetables or giardiniera salad, drained and finely chopped
Yields: Serves 4 to 6 as a main dish, 8-10 as a side dish
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Salt it, add the carrots and celery root or parsnips, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain then transfer to a food processor and purée.
Meanwhile, bring a second large pot of water to a boil. Salt it, add the pasta and cook 2 minutes shy of al dente. Drain and return to the pot.
While the pasta is working, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for a few minutes, then whisk in the flour. Whisk in the milk and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and Old Bay. Add in 2 cups cheddar and melt, stirring in a figure-eight motion with a wooden spoon.
Preheat the broiler. Stir the puréed vegetables and cheese sauce into the pasta. Transfer to a casserole dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar. Broil until bubbly and brown, about 5 minutes. To serve, top with the pickled vegetables.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook