Sanjeev Kapoor's Quick Jeera Chicken
This recipe was featured in “How to Cook Indian” by Sanjeev Kapoor.
- 1 (1 ¾ pound/ 800- grams) chicken, cut into 12 pieces in a large mixing bowl
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 8 to 10 green chiles, stemmed and cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, whisked
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 7 to 8 black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
Put chicken in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of the salt, and
stir well. Cover bowl with plastic and put into refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
Place a medium nonstick saucepan over medium and add the oil. When the small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, add the cumin. When the cumin begins to change color, add the chilies and turmeric, and sauté for 10 seconds.
Add the chicken and sauté for 8-9 minutes until well browned. Add the yogurt, cilantro, peppercorns and remaining 1 teaspoon of the salt. Stir well and add the ½ cup water. Cover, lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cook through.
Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with the mint and serve hot.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook