Slow Cooker Meal: Teriyaki Chicken
This Asian-flavored slow cooker meal is a great option instead of takeout!
- 8 chicken legs with thighs attached
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bottle Teriyaki sauce
- 3 tablespoons grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 6 scallions, white and green parts sliced on a bias, but kept separate
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
Yields: Serves 4
In a large bowl, dust the chicken legs with cornstarch and season with salt and pepper. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat with some EVOO and brown the chicken legs.
In a slow cooker, add browned chicken legs with teriyaki, ginger, garlic, honey and white parts of the scallions. Put the lid on and cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours.
When the chicken is about 20 minutes away from being done, add rice, water, 2 tablespoons EVOO and salt to a medium pot with a lid. Bring the pot of rice up to a boil then drop it down to a simmer. Put the lid on and simmer 10-15 minutes. When the rice is done, fluff with a fork and fold in the green parts of the scallions and sesame seeds.
Just before serving, combine bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper, and about a tablespoon of EVOO in a bowl.
To serve, scoop a portion of scallion-sesame rice into the bottom of a shallow bowl and top with 2 chicken legs drizzled with a bit of the teriyaki sauce. Garnish with the fresh and crunchy pepper, cucumber and carrot mixture.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook