Spaghetti Squash with Super-Thick Bolognese
Squash takes the place of spaghetti in this hearty supper.
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 6 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for topping if desired
- 1/4 pound thickly sliced pancetta, chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into small dice or shredded
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup (about a handful) fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup (about a handful) fresh parsley, chopped
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Place the spaghetti squash halves, cut side up, onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons EVOO, salt and pepper. Turn the squash over so they're cut side down and roast until the flesh is tender, about 45 minutes to an hour. Once cooked, use a fork to loosen the squash strands up. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons EVOO, ground black pepper, and a sprinkle of cheese. Reserve squash in the shells.
While the squash is roasting, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the pancetta to the pan and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the sirloin to the pan and cook until golden brown, 6-7 minutes. Add the carrots, onion and garlic to the pan and cook until the veggies are tender, about 5 minutes.
Season everything with salt and pepper, and add the tomato paste, cooking it until golden brown and aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the red wine and beef stock scraping the bottom for any bits that may be stuck, and cook sauce until thickened and slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
To serve, ladle meat sauce on top of each squash half and garnish each with fresh basil, parsley and additional Pecorino-Romano cheese.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook